Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Counting it all Joy

After my stroke in 2013, I was trying to make sense out of things and find a way to quit being angry at how my life had changed. It is my instinct to turn tothe Bible to seek direction. I remembered a verse that directs us to consider it all joy, when going through trials. I couldn't find the specific scripture, then I consulted my best friend Google, who said: James 1:3"Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds ". Yeah, I was still uncertain. In theory I got it, but how to put it into practice I consulted my Faith Walk Mentor. Mrs S. She advised I read a book Power In Praise writtenBy Merlin Carothers,a former prisoner who was saved while in prison. Praising God for his blessings helped him handle his prison sentence with grace. It makes sense. How can you remain angry while praising God for the good? After express ordering the book, I devoured it after it arrived. I then began my list of reasons why to praise God in the midst of my darkness, it changed my outlook.    God can take even the most bleak situation and make work to serve a purpose. 
by a man who learned to seek joy while in prison. After reading the book, I made a list of the blessings that came along with my stroke. 


Athe company for whom I worked, continued to pay my salary and family health insurance for seven months after my stroke. I was never able to return to work due to physical limitations.  We were approved to receive social security and disability income.  Not working allowed me to focus on rehab. I had long desired to work fewer hours and have more time at home with my son. Snow days? We get to hang out together!Our family had gotten into the habit of praying together in the hospital. We have continued that,allowing us to grow closer, my marriage is stronger, my friendships are closer and deeper. There are still issues I am confident God will work it all out. 


1 comment: